Author Interview: Elaine Nolan
1. What is your Name and/or Pen Name?
2. Who is your Favorite Writer/Author?
Don’t have a single favourite, but I tend to read and follow these – Anne McCaffrey, Dean Koontz, Clive Clustler, Jonathan Kellerman, David Eddings, David Gemmel, Raymond E Fiest
3. What is your Favorite Book/Book Series:
Again, so hard to choose from, The Riftwar Saga, The Wheel of Time, The Belgarad
4. What made you decide to be a Writer?
I devoured books as a child, and had so many stories running riot in my head, it was just a natural progression for me.
5. Who/What inspires you the most to be a Writer?
For the most part it’s my close friends who are readers, especially when I get the ‘Well, where’s the next chapter?’ Other than that, it’s not inspiration, it’s a strong desire to write that burns, and as Kipling said, “the only way to put out that fire is to write the damned book.”
6. What do you find has been inspiring your Stories and Characters?
People watching, sitting in a hotel lobby and overhearing snatches of conversations, or waiting at the train station…. Some of the things you overhear are hilarious….
7. What do you ABSOLUTELY have to have with you while you are Writing?
My fountain pen, and it has to be black ink…
8. What kind of Music do you listen to, if any? Favorite Singer/Band?
It depends on the story, for fantasy it’ll be a compilation of Enya, Einaudi, Era, Tori Amos, and a mix of early classical. For urban fiction I’ll switch to rock, 30 Seconds to Mars, Muse, Apocalytica and a mix of Baroque music.
9. What is your Favorite Research Tool?
10. What is your favorite part of Writing a Story/Novel/Song/Poem/Article?
Losing myself in that world
11. What is your favorite Genre to Write/Read?
Mostly fantasy, but I like thrillers as well
12. If you could only Choose 5 Novels, for the rest of your life, which ones do you choose?
Only 5!!! The Crystal Singer by Anne McCafferty, Lightening by Dean Koontz, The Hounds of the Morrigan by Pat O’Shea, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
13. If you could meet any Writer, Living/Dead, who would it be?
Anne McCaffery or Winston Churchill
14. What do you most want to Accomplish as a Writer?
Selfishly, it would be to change one life the way books changed mine.
Where You Can Find Elaine Nolan